Beef Heart with Red Wine Sauce
Beef Heart In Wine Sauce
*4+ pounds beef heart
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* salt and pepper to taste
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1 onion, chopped
* 2 carrots, chopped
* 2 potatoes, chopped
* 2 teaspoons dried thyme
* 1 cup beef broth
* 1/2 cup red wine
1. Wash the heart and remove any fat and arteries. Slice the heart in half, then slice it into 1/2 inch thick slices.
2. Dredge heart in flour and season with salt and pepper.
3. Heat the butter in large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the heart slices and cook for 30 to 45 seconds per side.
4. Stir in the onion, carrots, potatoes, thyme, water and wine. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Serve.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Notes: Beef Heart is a very lean muscle, like a steak. It is NOT considered an organ meat, like liver. When cooked properly, it is one of the most succulent meats on a beef.
Suggested Sides: Warm, fresh dinner rolls with baked apples for dessert.
*Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.